Register Your Cell Phone
Students, faculty and staff, should register your cell phone number in the campus directory to receive emergency text messages from the University.
- Visit the Onyen Services page and select the Update AlertCarolina Number link from the menu
- OR register your cell number whenever you update your Onyen password
- Your number will be treated as confidential information and will not be made public
Unsubscribing from Alert Carolina Text Messages
- If your ONYEN is still active, you can unsubscribe at the Onyen Services page
- If your ONYEN is no longer active, contact the UNC ITS Help Desk at 919-962-HELP
Alert Carolina for Twitter provides Alert Carolina notifications to family, Chapel Hill residents and friends who are unable to receive Alert Carolina messages via text and email. The Twitter account will tweet when Alert Carolina posts emergency warnings, timely warnings and adverse weather updates.
The following instructions require a Twitter account:
- Log into Twitter.
- Go to the @AlertCarolina account.
- Click “follow” on the right side of the page.
- Click the gear icon to the left of the “follow” box.
- In the drop down menu, click “turn on mobile notifications.”
Alertus Desktop Notification grabs the attention of anyone in front of a computer immediately with a full screen pop-up alert. The software will only activate for users on the UNC campus network (wired, wireless, VPN).
Alert Carolina notifications, depending on the alert type, are also shared:
- In campus news releases
- Digital screens across campus
- Notices to the Alert Carolina Twitter account; official UNC Twitter and UNC Facebook accounts; UNC Police Twitter and UNC Police Facebook accounts; UNC Transportation and Parking Twitter and UNC Transportation and Parking Facebook accounts, plus the Office of New Student and Parent Programs Facebook page
- Updating alertcarolina.unc.edu and the unc.edu homepage