UNC Police is investigating reports of 15 motor vehicle break-ins at multiple locations on and near main campus since yesterday, Oct. 17. The locations include the Williamson Lot, the S-11 Lot, Ambulatory Care Center (ACC), McLean Center (Rizzo Center), Ronald McDonald and SECU House, and Craig North parking deck.
An investigation is ongoing, and no further information is available.
UNC Police encourages the Carolina community to adhere to the following safety tips:
- Always lock your car and keep the windows rolled up when you are not with your vehicle.
- Don’t leave any valuable items in the car where they can be seen. Either store them in a storage space in the vehicle or take them with you when you exit the car.
- If your car has an alarm system, make sure it is set and active when you leave your vehicle.
- Try to park in a public place where your car can easily be seen by those passing by.
- Report suspicious individuals and activity to appropriate authorities, such as UNC Police.