UNC STUDENTS, STAFF, AND FACULTY:
UNC Police has seen an increase in reports of breaking and/or entering over the last two weeks. UNC Police is currently investigating these incidents and request anyone with information that may assist with these investigations to contact UNC Police (919-962-8100).
UNC-Chapel Hill encourages the Carolina community to adhere to the following safety tips:
- Even if you are just going a few doors away from your room or apartment, or even next door, lock your door. Thieves need only a matter of minutes, even seconds, to perpetrate a property crime.
- Unless you know for sure that they live in the building, do not hold doors open to allow others inside.
- Purchase a small personal safe or lockable footlocker for your residence hall room or office. Both are relatively inexpensive and can save much aggravation in the long run.
- Note the condition of your home, office, or residence hall room before leaving the premises and be alert for changes upon your return, such as lights left on, property damage, or a door left ajar. If you think someone might be or might have been in your office or living space, do not enter. Leave and call 9-1-1.
- Report suspicious individuals and activity to appropriate authorities, such as housing staff and UNC Police.
- For further information and residential safety tips, visit