The University will remain closed (Condition 3: classes canceled; offices closed) for all of Friday, Feb. 14, through 8 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 15.
University officials said factors that led to that decision this afternoon included:
- Continuing snow and freezing precipitation.
- Deteriorating travel conditions, including expected refreezing on roads overnight, as well as the outlook for authorities to get local roads to safe travel conditions.
- Current limitations of Chapel Hill Transit, which did not operate today.
The University currently plans to resume normal operations at 8 a.m. on Saturday, Feb. 15, for offices and employees scheduled to work this weekend. The University will make additional announcements if necessary about those weekend operations.
The University will also announce plans for operations on Monday, Feb. 17, at a later time.
When the University is in Condition 3 (classes canceled; offices closed), emergency employees should report for work. All other employees are directed not to report to work while the University is closed.
SPA and EPA Non-Faculty employees are reminded to consult the University’s applicable adverse weather policies; more information is available on the Office of Human Resources website at https://hr.unc.edu/benefits/leave-holidays/weather-emergency/.
UNC uses three main adverse weather operating conditions: Condition 1 (open), Condition 2 (classes canceled; offices open) or Condition 3 (classes canceled; offices closed). Reports of state government closings do not apply to the University. The University generally announces adverse weather news on www.unc.edu, the campus information sources listed below, and through the news media. Unless a change is announced, the University always operates under Condition 1 – regular schedule.
Other information sources:
- (919) 843-1234. Adverse Weather and Emergency Phone Line for recorded information and announcements about campus operations.
- UNC Traveler’s Information System Radio, 1610 AM, near campus.
- UNC Department of Public Safety for details including parking lot conditions.
- Chapel Hill Transit inclement weather news and routes and schedules