The Chapel Hill Police Department announced today that it is currently seeking any additional information about a reported rape that occurred around 2:15 a.m. last Thursday, February 9, near the alley behind Cosmic Cantina at 128 E. Franklin Street.
While honoring the victim’s request to not pursue an investigation, police are asking anyone with new information to come forward. Anyone with information related to this incident, please call either the Chapel Hill Police Department at 968-2760 or Crime Stoppers at 942-7515.
The Chapel Hill Police Department would also like to remind individuals of the following personal safety tips:
- Whenever possible, make prior arrangements for transportation if you know you will be alone after dark.
- If you find yourself alone, wait for a friend or walk with a group of people until getting to your destination.
- Walk in well-lit populated areas whenever possible.
- Always be aware of your surroundings.
- Carry a cell phone and report anything suspicious to 911 immediately.
Call 911 immediately to report any and all suspicious activity on campus. For UNC’s list of safety tips, see the following link through the Alert Carolina page:
About Informational Messages: The University sends an Informational Message to inform the campus community about a situation that is not an emergency, but is expected to be of significant interest to the campus. An Informational Message is one of three tiers of communication under the University’s revised emergency communications plan. Emergency Warning refers to a siren activation for a significant emergency. And a Timely Warning is issued if there is a continuing danger AND notification will not compromise law enforcement efforts.
Sponsored by the UNC Department of Public Safety